Five Minute Friday: On Forgetting

Woohoo! Friday, people! And it’s a three-day weekend to boot!

I’m super excited for this weekend, because we have a good friend staying with us for a few days. And, Josh and I get another date night, this time to attend the wedding of a couple that we love!

Also, it’s Five Minute Friday again!

Today Lisa-Jo’s prompt is: On forgetting.

So, I sat myself down, wrote for five minutes straight {without going back to edit or fix}, and here you have it! Every family has their go-to anecdotes. Here is one of mine from growing up:

GO

My brother & I (circa 1987)

He was playing with legos in his room.

Our family had decided to eat dinner at the local Arby’s restaurant. Thinly sliced roast beef on soft sesame seed buns sounded more appetizing that summer day than any thing else.

For some reason my parents took separate cars. I don’t remember who I rode with, all I remember is that my brother got left behind. After arriving at the fast food chain, my mom and dad realized their mistake. My brother was young, not more than 8 years old, and he’d already panicked earlier that summer when he thought he was left home alone.

That time my mom had come in just as I was comforting him, wiping away tears and giving him a hug. She thought that I had hit him — which wasn’t unusual for me at the time — and that I was trying to calm him down to keep from getting in trouble. Poor kid.

My dad raced back up the hill to our house, terrified at what my brother must be feeling. Skidding into the driveway, he raced into the house and searched for my brother. Quietly playing with his toys in his room, he hadn’t even noticed that everyone was gone.

“Darren, you ready to go?”

“Sure, Dad.”

With that, they drove down to meet us for dinner, and the story of when we forgot my brother at home lived on in infamy.

STOP

Want more Melissa childhood stories?

Here’s one from when my sister got her head stuck in a bridge.

Then, of course, there was the first time I got to stay home on my own and broke every. single. rule!

What’s an interesting story from your childhood?

Or, how would you respond to Lisa-Jo’s prompt “on forgetting”?

Leave a comment below or link up your own post and read what others had to share!

Sign up to have my posts automatically delivered to your inbox or subscribe in a reader {for free}, or let’s connect on Facebook!
Hey! Did you know that the voting for the Circle of Mom’s “Top 25 Faith Blogs by Moms” continues through June 8th! You can vote for me once every 24 hours until 5 PM PST on 6/8.

1. That is a precious story! So glad he didn’t notice…phew! A good laugh now, though. Right?

2. Moe says:

Great story. I remember being 6 years old and my brother 7 and my mother leaving us home alone for 3 hours while she had to do something urgent. Back then, we had a good time, we didn’t even cry, but looking back now I start to question my mother’s wisdom. :/

Have a great weekend Melissa!

3. Emily says:

Such a cute memory, the best to remember!

4. Too funny! Well at least looking back on it is funny, but then not so much.

It is funny to look back on, especially since it all ended so well. :)

5. 4hollyg says:

Wow! That’s so funny! What a great cover-up! I’ll have to remember that one. :)

Yeah, the situation turned out well. :)

I love it!

Now I’m wondering if I know your brother. Does he go to NWC???

He did go to NWC, but he hasn’t been there for at least 10 years. I doubt you would know him from there.

I did have a dream once that I left one of my kids at home. Actually, it was a nightmare. I was totally freaked out. And, this makes me think of that Angelina Jolie movie where she left her kid at home and he disappeared. #ohsosad

7. Mom says:

Thanks for bringing up two painful memories which I would like to forget – I scolded you when you were actually caring for your brother and I left one of my children behind! I am grateful that at least it did not end up a scary incident for Darren to remember – the relief I felt when your dad came back with him and whispered to me that Darren didn’t know he had been left was overwhelming! BTW he was only about 5 years old.

Haha! MOM! You’re only supposed to comment when you have good things to say! :) I didn’t realize Darren was that young, but I guess it makes sense. Poor lil Darren.

So, here’s my PSA for my parents: They are fantastic parents. They never left us feeling abused, neglected or wanting for anything. They were (are) fair, generous and loving. And — like I said — it was totally like me to have hit my brother and then try to calm him down so he wouldn’t tell on me; it’s completely understandable that my mom would yell at me. I was a bossy older sister. :) If you don’t believe me, check out the link for my first time staying home alone. Haha!

Amen to the fantastic parents part. I often feel lucky, as a parent, to have had such good examples.

8. This is a fantastic story Melissa because it happens. And amusingly told. :) Maybe it will make me feel better when I forget a kid somewhere. Maybe.

1. 4hollyg says:

Yes, it does! If I had more readers, I would do a poll or some sort of post, having people tell where and how they left their child. Yes, I have done it. I left our oldest daughter at church, after services-went to the store-saw a small child and thought, “What a cute little girl! Stephanie!!!!” I realized I had left her-I had gone to the store with a new friend and was all excited because she and her brother were coming over. We were good friends with her brother and his wife but his sister and I hit it off immediately. Anyway, we drove back to the church building and she was still playing with the kids and didn’t even know I had left.

My mom reminded me this morning that we left our 2yo son in the car when he was 8 months old. He was sleeping, we were with a large group of people, and we just forgot. Those moments make your heart jump into your throat! I can’t imagine what my parents must have experienced!

Glad to hear your daughter was none the wiser, like my brother. Haha!

1. 4hollyg says:

Thanks. You too.

It probably won’t make it better in the moment, but it might help to know that we all do it…we’ve forgotten one of our kids before. :)

9. Jenny says:

Oh NO! Oh my gosh, your poor brother. Your poor parents :) I can just imagine the scene … LOL too cute

It is funny to think back on, especially knowing that he had no clue that he was by himself.

10. Carey Bailey says:

Holy moly I was getting nervous as I read. So glad for the outcome. With Joy, Carey

Oh no! I’m sorry! Haha! No, he’s perfectly fine. He’s 27 now and happily married. Hopefully he doesn’t freak out when his wife leaves him home alone. Haha!

11. Jenny says:

That’s so funny that he never even realized what had happened! Here’s my link: http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/05/life-right-now-may-27th-2011.html

12. Caroline says:

Hah! That story had some intensity! You told it well. Whew, I would’ve freaked out! :-)

13. This is SO cute! I love how your brother was just chilling and oblivious to the fact that he was left. I loved how you approached the topic this week!

This reminds me of one day a few weeks before I got married. Corbin and I were staying at mom’s and Jonathan had started moving into our new apartment. I got up one morning and went over to help him unpack. We’d been hanging out for about half an hour when he said, “Where’s Corbin?” My pale face as I leapt gazelle-like over a box and sprinted out the front door was answer enough. I frantically called mom to see if she’d left for work, which she had, but only 10 minutes earlier. Our apartment was only about a mile from her house, so I was there within minutes. Corbin was still asleep in bed, and had no idea, but the thought that I had just forgotten him entirely shook me up. He was only 5 at the time, like Darren. Mom reminded me of this story to help me feel less guilty.

15. Danielle says:

Hey, I saw your comment on Lydia’s blog about more babies. I know about one spouse not feeling done, but another being overwhelmed and not wanting more. The best advice someone gave me was this: Let the Lord lead your families size, through your husband. No matter what the decision is and no matter what happens…you’ll know it was God’s call and not you pushing it and husband just giving in. When things are tough with the children, no one will be able to say, you should have stopped or you should not have asked for that last one…and mostly you won’t self doubt and beat yourself up when things get tough. It’ll be totally God’s call and His leading. The second best advice someone gave me: Wherein ye are, therein be content. So, I labored to be content, instead of laboring with another child. And 2 years later…I am content with the ones I have and I do not long for that next one. It isn’t always easy but when I’m on the other side of longing, I know I wan’t wrong, to trust God, through my man. If you are to have another baby, you’ll have it and it’ll be that much sweeter when it was your husbands idea.