I Quit

I quit…

…worrying about what is ahead.

…feeling shame about what is behind.

…acting like I have attained perfection.

…burying my fears, hurts and insecurities.

…saying I’m ok when I’m not.

…stressing about what others think of me.

…trying to be God.

…seeking to earn others approval and affection.

…caring about site views, comments and stats.

…striving for the goals I have set, rather than the plans of God.

…comparing myself to others.

…fearing relationships with other women.

…holding on to bitterness.

…conforming to the ways of this world.

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold new things have come. {2 Corinthians 5:17}

What do you quit?

Sign up to have my posts automatically delivered to your inbox or subscribe in a reader {for free}.

Linking up today with Bonnie

and Emily

OH…and…I’m posting this to enter a contest offered by MeridaHome at Design For Mankind! I want to win the iPad 2! (please don’t click the link because I want to win…haha!)

1. Can I join your team? Then again…if you quit there will be no team. jk. Good words Melissa. I am tired of pretending. I want to live in “Freeeeedom!”

You can be on my team, Bill! We’ll have buttons and banners that say, “I Quit!” Then we can sit around and eat s’mores with peanut butter. Haha!

2. Moe says:

You quitter! :)

I quit making God small and want to show Him as Great and Big as He is!

Ooh! Good one, Moe. I definitely make God small. I don’t think I have any idea of how big He really is…

I am excited to say that I also quit fearing relationships with other women! Bring it! :-D

Isn’t it funny how scary it can be? I am still learning how much I can trust other women, but you have definitely been helpful in this area for me. Love you, Haley!

4. lindy says:

I’ve been trying to quit my laziness. It’s a process. I need to just do it, even the stuff I don’t enjoy (like dishes and laundry). I want to quit feeling like I can’t and know I can do enough.

One thing I had to start doing for myself was to set limits like I do with my kids. “I will not go on the computer until the kitchen is clean.” That way I have a reward for myself. Haha! Or, I set a timer to see if I can finish it in a certain amount of time. Sometimes I think I’m 5. Haha!

I quit…

…breaking wind in elevators as I walk out just before the door closes.

…drinking all but a little sip of milk and putting the container back in the fridge.

…using my wife’s t-shirts as rags while cleaning up the car.

…watching Glee. (I didn’t want it before so that’s not much of a stretch.)

…putting Spongebob on for a room full of kids so they’ll mimic him for their parents all night.

Or was I supposed to do more serious things?

Thank you for quitting those things! Now, if only I could convince Josh that that first one is taboo…

6. dustin says:

Love this, Melissa. I quit trying to impress my God and other people.

This verse hit me square between the eyes on that topic: “For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10

7. Okay, for whatever reason, your post–those few words–have brought tears to my eyes. I guess several of those things hit close to home to me too and I need to quit. Thanks for touching me.

{Passes the Kleenex and offers some tea} Me too…

8. Mrs. M. says:

I did the same thing…Yet, I tend to come back and pick it up again.

Quit – ugly word in today’s world. But in God’s eyes…we are victorious!

Mrs. M.

That’s the problem, right? Not allowing yourself to pick back up the bag you’ve thrown off. I need to quit doing that, too. :)

9. Jenny says:

love :) love love love this!

Thanks, Jenny! :)

10. Melissa, I so needed these words! I definitely need to join you in quitting. I need to quit striving…striving for approval, striving to do it all, striving to find peace on my own.

Striving…even the word makes me tired. Isn’t it funny we strive to find peace, isn’t that an oxymoron? Haha!

11. i love you sister.

and i’m so glad you’re not quitting writing… that would make me very sad. xo

You know…there’s moments. But, honestly I don’t think I could if I tried. :) Haha!

12. I LOVE this post. Just so powerful! It’s the cry of our hearts — all that you listed!

Melissa — can I just HUG you? ;)

Thanks, Bonnie! It definitely just poured out. Haha!

13. Caroline says:

What an awesome post. I so agree with numbers 1, 2, 3, 4… oh, okay, all of them. Thanks for sharing your heart through this list.

(Just now catching up on last week’s Faith Jam posts!)

Thanks for stopping by! Looking forward to jamming with you again tomorrow. :)