God Made a Mistake

I thought God messed up, or I heard Him wrong.

Why did He have me get a degree in Ministry & Leadership from a bible college, if He was then going to give me a desire to pursue writing?

Shouldn’t I have a degree in that?

Then He whispered, “You’re calling is ministry, your vehicle is writing.”

Oh…my mistake.

I spent all weekend working on a proposal for (in)courage & Dayspring. They’re giving away eight sponsorships to the Relevant Conference in October. I really hope I get one. If not, at least I learned a little bit more about myself and why I am doing what I’m doing. I also learned that I’m awful at selling myself.

Wanna make my day? Sign up to have my posts automatically delivered to your inbox or subscribe in a reader {for free}. Pretty please? :)

1. lauren says:

i’m awful at selling myself, too. praying God will ‘sell me’ this morning when i interview. . .wish it was as easy as saying ‘i’m a perfect fit for this job. . .please hire me!!’ :)

i’m praying you get that scholarship, too!! hugging your neck two times in one year would just be divine!!!!!!

Good luck on the interview, Lauren! I’m praying for you. Looking forward to you sharing here tomorrow! :)

I think God made a mistake every day when I wake up.

But that’s the point of the post, He doesn’t make mistakes! It’s all in our perspective. Praying for you and your family today as you continue looking to Him for provision and guidance.

3. I hope you get it too! Selling yourself IS hard! Makes me kinda want to throw-up just thinking about it.

Haha! Maybe that’s why I felt sick all weekend! :) I’ve always been bad at auditioning, interviewing and promoting. I guess I’m going to have to become more confident in myself if I’m going to make a go at this writing thing. Haha! :)

4. Moe says:

Fortunately God doesn’t make mistakes. You know that whole “my plans are not your plans and such”. If God gave you something, he’ll be faithful in making it happen. I’ll be praying that all goes well with (in)courage. Keep writing!

You’re so right, Moe. I thought I needed to go back and get a new degree or education, instead I discovered I already had the information I needed. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Moe. :)

Thanks for sharing! Prayers your way for scholarship and confidence! Where is the conference?

It’s in Philadephia…which is why I didn’t buy a ticket before. With the upcoming move & unsure of what life will be like in October, I didn’t feel right about investing money in it. But, if I won I could use airlines miles to fly out there and I already have a group of ladies who have offered for me to share a room with them if I go. So…I just need the sponsorship! :) I would be so excited to win, because as I looked more into Dayspring and (in)courage I was so impressed by the two companies.

I think that’s what the world wants you to believe…you have to be qualified (i.e have a degree, lots of experience, amazing accolades) to do a job well.

But, I love this saying: God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called. He will give you everything you need to fulfill His purposes for your life. I’m so happy to be able to witness that journey and your submission to His call.

I really hope you win!!!

I’ve heard that saying before, and it’s one I also am encouraged by. :) Thanks for sharing it, Keri.

How exciting! I’m praying for an open door for you, friend!

Thanks, Tony!

8. Shelley says:

Back in 2001/2002, I felt God calling me to become a teacher. In order for me to do that, I would have to quit my job and go back to school. In order to get my Bachelor of Education, I needed to get my Bachelor of Arts first (can’t get the B.Ed. without it). So, I applied to university, and got accepted. Four years was spent getting my B.A. I took another year because I didn’t get into the education program right away, and took some extra classes to help for when I did get into education. After that year, I went to South Korea for a year to teach English (and give me some experience teaching in ‘secular’ society because I only had experience teaching Sunday school & the kids’ midweek program, and they wanted the ‘secular’ teaching experience….keep in mind, this is a Christian university I went to). Finally, the year I came back from Korea I was in the education program. I graduated that in November 2009. Since then, I haven’t had much supply teaching, and I can’t seem to get a teaching job. It’s extremely hard to get a teaching position at this time (there is no real need for teachers)…and it’s like this all over the country.

So, even though I know God doesn’t make mistakes, it sure feels like it. Why did He have me do all this (and get nearly $40,000 in debt with student loans…which I needed in order to go back to school), if I can’t get a teaching job?

I keep holding on to Jeremiah 29:11-13 (it was my verse while in school)…but most days it’s hard to not think of all of this as a mistake.

Shelley – Thank you for sharing your story. I know others who are in that same situation of questioning…and I think it more than coincidental that you mentioned Jeremiah 29:11.

The thing I love about that verse is the context. Jeremiah is delivering the word of the LORD to the nation of Israel as they are in exile. Their life looks completely different than they imagined it should, and they feel that God has failed them. Rather, He tells them, “I know the plans I have for you (even when you are in exile), plans to good and not for evil, so you will prosper and have a future.” He then tells them to put down roots, there in exile, and build lives for themselves.

When we’re in the midst of difficult situations it is hard not to picture our perfect circumstances and question why God has not brought those to fruition. His call for you to become a teacher is not dependent upon the need for teachers. His plans are not swayed by financial or political climates. Again, I so appreciate you sharing your struggle and I will be praying for you, as you continue to follow the path God puts in front of you.

9. Mary Jo says:

Well. For what it’s worth, I think that you write with a beautiful heart. It seems that I am just now finding a voice for all that I have been feeling and thinking and experiencing. I, too, sent in a proposal, and the whole time I was thinking, “ARE YOU CRAZY????”. Probably. SO. I certainly wish you luck, because your words need to be shared! :)

I know that crazy! :) Thank you for your encouragement, and good luck to you as well. I wasn’t going to apply, but God has shown me recently how much I get in my own way regarding my dreams. So, I threw my hat in the ring. Whether or not I receive the sponsorship, I feel like I gained something just from creating the proposal.

10. Prudence says:

I finished up my proposal last night & sent it off. So difficult talking yourself up/selling yourself (or blog).

Ooh! Good luck!! Which one did you go for, Prudy? I’m assuming the Writer’s Craft one. :)

1. Prudence says:

No the Micah 6:8 one. Which did you go for?

I sent it in for the Writer’s Craft one last night. Then, I decided to send one in for the Hope & Encouragement one today. Can’t hurt, right? :) Wouldn’t it be fun if we both were awarded a sponsorship?! :)

1. Prudence says:

That would be awesome!!!

11. We do have a lot in common, don’t we? I’m learning (slooooowly) that my calling is ministry and the vehicle (I think) is writing, as well. It’s interesting to see God reveal the layers of His plan. Well, you know – interesting and frustrating for this impatient girl! :)

Interesting = excruciating. Same same. Haha!

I get that. :) What’s nice is that I was feeling inadequate as a writer because I didn’t have a degree or education in it. God revealed to me over the weekend that He knew exactly what He was doing in having me focus on ministry first. I never want to lose sight of the fact that I do this for Him, and not for myself. Obviously I get pleasure out of it, but when the intention is to bring myself accolades I find that everything falls flat. It needs to remain first, and foremost, about Him.

Now, I need to go watch an NCIS rerun from my DVR. ;) Haha!

12. Craig says:

Well God was clearly wrong.

Wait – meh – God is never wrong.

Oh, I get it! :) God Bless and Keep you and yours Melissa.

P.S. I enjoy your writing ministry.

Haha! Thanks Craig! :)

13. Love this realization, Melissa. God doesn’t always work in the ways we expect or even want, does He? But His plan is all good. I have a degree in English and have spent the better part of my career as a corporate writer, but never did I imagine that I would writing about faith and spirituality. My pastor called my writing a “ministry” the other day, and I was shocked to hear that — see, it’s still a surprise to me!

His plan is all good, and frequently much superior to what we would devise. Thanks for stopping by, Michelle!

14. dustin says:

Praying for you right now Melissa. Grateful that we serve a faithful and true God. “…He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion…”

Thank you for those prayers, Dustin. I know God has big transitions ahead for us, and I look forward to seeing how it all comes together! :)