Five Minute Friday: On {Pregnant} Waiting

I did it! I wrote a blog post in 5 minutes!

Lisa-Jo (aka The Gypsy Mama) has been hosting Five Minute Fridays for weeks now, and I have yet to enter. Fear and perfectionism held me back. To just let loose and write for five minutes, and not go back and edit, was kinda tough for me. Even now my fingers are aching to go fix that word, or modify that sentence. I will not!

Lisa-Jo’s prompt of “On Waiting” coincided so wonderfully with what God was speaking to me today. That, and the image of Lisa-Jo about ready to pop with Baby #3 were both huge helps. If you have a few minutes, I would encourage you to head over to check out the other Five Minute Friday posts people have linked up. There’s a great community there, and it’s amazing the things that pour out of their brains in only five minutes.

GO

Me, Nine Months Pregnant w/Silas

Lately I’ve felt pregnant. No, not with a human child, but with possibility. I have dreams and plans that I hope to see fulfilled; that I feel I am in the prenatal stages of.

That dark knowing deep inside of you, of new life growing, forming and moving. At first, no one else is aware of a change. You walk around looking normal. Only those who you have shared your secret with understand the below the surface tension you’re experiencing.

There are days when it seems so overwhelming, the waiting…the wondering…the unanswered questions. Occasionally God gives me a glimpse of what He’s doing inside of me, like a spiritual sonogram. I see form and shadow, but details are blurred and questions remain.

There’s excitement in the waiting, in the unknown. He is in control. Psalms 139 says He formed us in our mother’s womb, and right now I feel like an expectant mother once again. He is forming something inside of me.

So I wait, for the time when others will begin to notice the change. For the days when the movement is so perceptible that there’s no denying the life inside. And for that final birth of dream and vision, when names are given and form is revealed.

For the waiting to be over…

STOP

Are you waiting for something?

What brings you comfort in that time?

Is there some way I can pray for you?

For those of you who offered to guest post, I am so overwhelmed and excited by your willingness to share here. Thank you!! I will send out an email with info this weekend. If you haven’t contacted me yet to let me know you are interested, the offer still stands! Just email me so I can add you to the list. The more the merrier, I say!

{Don’t miss a post! Sign up to have them delivered to your inbox or subscribe in a reader.}

1. Renee says:

I love this! What a beautiful analogy. It is so true how we often have things growing/brewing in our hearts that other people can’t see yet…but they will :) As usual I am amazed at what comes from just five minutes of letting the words flow. I am so glad you jumped and and shared :)

Have a great weekend!

Thanks, Renee! I look forward to reading yours. :)

2. adriana says:

I love your post, I think any mother will understand your waiting :)

Thanks, Adriana! :)

3. Duane Scott says:

I can’t even type that fast.

Great post.

Thanks, Duane! I would be very interested to see what comes out of your head in 5 minutes. You’re such a talented writer, I’m sure it would be brilliant. :)

4. Denise says:

While pregnancy of life is not a wait I have experienced — pregnancy of possibilities is one I can understand and often find in the waiting

5. Lisa-Jo says:

“A spiritual sonogram” oh Melissa, this is so so good! What a fantastic piece of writing! I can’t believe you haven’t linked up before. I just love this. For the obvious reasons, ie being so pregnant myself, but for the beautiful profound imagery of what our creative generous God grows in us in other ways too. Thank you so much for sharing!

Oh and that photo? Priceless!

Thanks, Lisa-Jo! :) Those pictures of oh-so-pregnant you and the boys are adorable! Can’t wait to “meet” your little girly.

6. Love this, so exciting are these hopes and dreams! I cant wait to see what unfolds!

Haha! Me too! :)

It is an exciting place to be. Thanks for stopping by.

7. dustin says:

Waiting on something… for sure. Baby 3 is coming in 3-4 weeks. Time needs to start moving…!! :)

So exciting!! Those are always the longest weeks for me. Haha! My “baby” is now 8 months old…and that time seems to have flown by.

8. Rebekah says:

Whoa whoa whoa. I feel like this. Except I’ve never been actually pregnant. But I have been this kind of pregnant. This pregnant with a dream. Pregnant with wonder at what’s to come. Absolutely beautiful words! And in 5 minutes? I’m super impressed.

Thanks! I look forward to reading yours. :)

9. Julie Anne says:

beautiful writing… so glad you joined in on Five Minute Friday!!!

Thanks! And me too. :)

I’m waiting all right. ;) Great post, Melissa.

“Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.” Isaiah 40:31

This came to mind instantly for you, Jason!

11. I feel the same way! Beautiful post. I will never turn down an offer for prayer…I wrote my five minute Friday on waiting for a miracle and I would love prayer for my daughter to be healed. Thank you. Love your blog.

Praying for your daughter, and you in your time of waiting. Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer!

12. such a lovely image, being pregnant with life and purpose, God-at-work within, making all things new. i rejoice with you!

Thanks, Suzannah!!

I don’t like waiting. I am the most impatient person on the planet. You can pray that I can learn more patience. :)

Oooh! Don’t you know never to pray for patience. :) Haha!

I love the Message translation of Romans 8:24-25:

“That is why waiting does not diminish us, any more than waiting diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don’t see what is enlarging us. But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy.”

I’m waiting on something incredible right now but it’s definitely with an expectancy. I’m confident it will be fulfilled this year! :)

I’ve never read that! Thank you for sharing that with me, Tony. :) I look forward to seeing what you’re waiting for fulfilled!

15. Craig says:

Me – I’m too much of a waiter – I can wait like nobody. But the being about the now while waiting – the making the use of the moment while waiting, the being here – before I’m there – those things – that’s the challenge for me. God bless you Melissa – God Bless.

I am so familiar with that Craig. When you’re heart and mind are desiring the future, it is difficult to remain rooted in the present. God is constantly telling me to be rooted when I’m planted. Thank you for the blessings, and a double-portion return to you. :)

16. Great post. I love the thought that God is forming something inside of us as we wait.