The Root of Self-Control

Staring at the now empty pint of ice cream in amazement, I can’t believe that I ate as much as I did. My aching stomach testifies to the fact, although that heavy feeling deep inside of me is more than just chocolate and cream.

Opening the credit card bill, my heart skips a beat as I look at the balance. How could a few trips here and a stop in there have added up to so much? The payment we’d just made to allow us to bring our balance to zero has been swallowed up in treats and entertainment.

“I’m only going to check my email.” Over an hour later I reluctantly step away from the laptop, the children’s pleas for attention and assistance have become too persistent to ignore further. As my husband walks in the door to a still messy living room and a yet-to-be-started dinner, a wave of guilt washes over me.

Self-control: the virtue of one who masters his desires and passions.

Today I‘m guest posting at my friend Melissa Runcie’s blog in her series on the Fruits of the Spirit!

1. Kristin says:

God has been working this very thing out in me. As I surrender and seek Him first I see more and more evidence of the fruit of The Spirit. It is all too easy to forget though and this reminder this morning was a gift. Thank you!

Kristin…I love what you said here “As I surrender and seek Him first I see more and more evidence of the fruit of The Spirit”. I really needed to hear that today, really, really! Thank you for sharing.

I love those moment when I’m sharing what God is doing in my life, and it encourages others; their connection with it reminds me that I’m not alone in the struggle. Sometimes I focus so much on the pruning away of the dead and deadly in my life, I forget that the end result is new life and fruit. Praying for that new creation in your life today, Kristin! :)

I needed this reminder, Melissa. Thank you for your faithfulness to this blog. It helps me. You help me. Miss you!

Love you, friend! :)

Was it mint cookies and cream ice cream? Oh, sorry, that was just me.

I love when you write the short posts, Melissa. Lots of punch! Like I said to Kristin above, I needed this today in a big way. Thank you, my friend. :)

I refuse to eat mint chocolate chip ice cream. Someone could offer me a years worth, FREE, and I would not touch it! In fact, when Josh dishes us ice cream I ask him to dish up mine first so that there’s not even a dribble of the mint taste on my ice cream. Haha! What’s funny is that it’s Josh’s favorite. :) I tell him it’s frozen toothpaste. Can you tell I’m not a fan of mint? :)

When I write short posts, I feel like I get less in the way of God. He gives me an idea, I write it and then try to add to it, and it can get bogged down. Some of my favorite posts have been under 200 words. Go figure. It’s not about me. :)