Thoughts from the Pot: Potatugs, Shortman and Mr. T

“Thoughts from the Pot” are the random musings of a husband. The thoughts and opinions presented below are not necessarily those of the host of this blog. Thank you for your understanding.

I was in a wedding. I am always in weddings. I am super popular. Strangers ask me to be in their weddings because their friends look like an unfortunate cross-breed of a 50-lb sack of potatoes and a pug. Potatugs can ruin a wedding (or perhaps Pugatoes, depending on which side of the mighty Mississippi you’re on).

Potatugs playing air bagpipe

Over the course of the frivolities that surrounded this latest wedding, I met the groom’s brother. He is a successful man. He wears fine suits, expensive cologne and an appropriately restrictive necktie which highlights his masculine physique. He is also short.

He had an interesting habit. Not interesting in the “I just went to Tibet with boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard! Would you like to see pictures?” way. More in the “My favorite snack food is tubes of women’s lipstick” vein.

Anytime there was a photo-op (op being short for opportunity), Shortman would stand on his tippy toes. I assume he chose this particular pose so as to appear taller; or maybe he just hadn’t done his calf raises that morning at the gym. The world may never know — the world may never care.

I looked at him with my beady eye of judgment and I said to myself, “Self! That man has been a short man all of his life. The time has come for him to accept the fact that he is not a tall man, he is in fact a short man!

I said this to myself and I felt good. I felt that I had made an honest assessment and that my prognosis of the situation had been spot-on. I made jokes. I told stories. We all laughed. Then God punched me in the back of the face.

GOD-PUNCH!

How many times have I tried this same maneuver? I can poke fun at Shortman because his little faux-pas was more visible than mine, but the fact remains that there are so many things I hate about myself and I want to hide from the public eye. I look at myself and think, “Why can’t you be more like…Mr. T?” The answer is obvious: I’m balding and therefore cannot grow an acceptable mohawk. So close!

Or sometimes I think, “Why can’t you logically approach a problem? Why are you distracted so easily? Why don’t you finish what you start?” And so on. And so forth.

There is a reason why I am who I am. The purpose God made for my life revolves around the skills, faults and idiosyncracies that are hard-wired into my personality. I am who I am because I need the skills, faults, and idiosyncracies of the body of Christ around to truly fulfill the calling that God has on my life. The question remains, and it still gives me heartburn, “Do I believe that I am fearfully and wonderfully made?” Or do I believe that only the people I really admire were made that way and I was made by an apprentice who just so happens to be a squirrel with opposable thumbs and a penchant for wearing camouflage cargo pants.

There will come a day when I won’t ever worry about what people think of me, but I will most likely be dead. I will continue to swim upstream against my urges and I will allow God to use me because I am worth it. I am awesome, and so are you.

I may not be Mr. T, but I’m also not a potatug…

Do you believe you are fearfully & wonderfully made?

Or do you feel like a potatug, or pugato?

{photo 1 source}

{photo 2 source}

My squirrel wears MC Hammer parachute pants. :(

But does he have opposable thumbs? :)

2. The Husband says:

Homeschool or stuck in the 90’s?

2. Dustin says:

Gal 1:10 keeps coming to mind, “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” One of those verses that always seems to hit me with a ton of bricks from time to time. I act, respond, judge, comment, wisecrack, etc., etc. all the time… all for the sake of making myself look better in someone else’s eyes. But, when I truly reflect on the fact that I am wonderfully made by God and He made me just as I am, I can confidently rest in that truth… and brush aside any people-pleasing tendencies that come my way.

1. The Husband says:

Any time I share something that I have made I always struggle with the reason that I am doing it and what I expect to happen after I share what I have created. For me, it comes down to, “Do I really believe that this is from God?” If I do then here goes!

That verse is one that God questioned me with late last year. I need to tape it to the screen of my laptop, make it my mantra. Haha! And isn’t it funny how when we try so hard to make people like us, when we make judgments, cracks and comments, it usually ends up making people dislike us?

I was literally wondering yesterday when we would see the next entry in this series. #win

Double win for me because I do, in fact, believe that I am fearfully and wonderfully made by a God who does not wear cargo pants. Also, my name is Tony so I do go by Mr. T. I probably should work on the mohawk to see all potential awesomeness realized in my life.

1. The Husband says:

How do you know he doesn’t wear cargo pants? Where else is he going to keep all that stuff? I know that he doesn’t wear a fanny pack. That’s heresy! HERESY!

Yeah! :) I have been pestering him to write another one. Haha!

I would like to see you with a mohawk. That would be priceless!

Man, I know what you mean. We can feel so good about ourselves that we are soooo discerning, but we fail to turn that discerning on ourselves for fear of what we would find or just ignorance. Good stuff. Thanks Josh.

1. The Husband says:

Ignorance is my downfall. There are far too many times where I do the wrong thing willfully but I feel like, as I get older, I am realizing how many things I need to change in my life. I think I will go back to my early 20’s where I just KNEW how awesome I was. The microscope of self-discernment was not nearly as focused. Back then I was not as awesome as I thought I was, now I’m more awesome than I think I am… :)

5. Moe says:

Sometimes there is no denying that I am an awesome man of God. A force to be reckoned with. Then I screw up and I question my identity. It’s like I own a dual personality… and I argue with myself and slap myself and arm wrestle myself. OK, I’ll stop, I’m getting weird again.

This cracked me up!

6. Brandon says:

I feel like a potatug…just kidding! Yes, it is great to know that God has made us in the likeness of His image! I really like Ephesians 2:10 that talks all about that!

Haha! I think the point ends up being that we all have those moments where we feel like potatugs, but the truth is that we’re fearfully & wonderfully made. :) Come on, Brandon, you can be Mr. T!!

but I don’t wanna be Mr.T.

There are times when I feel like a potatug (which, by the way, sounds more to me like a funny way to say potato bug…which is okay with me) but it’s usually when I’m in a situation where I’m running in to someone I used to know and want them to think “wow! She looks great” instead of the inevitable “now, THAT’S why I don’t want to have children.” This happened yesterday…I was at the local Safeway and ran into a girl I used to know. I immediately evaluated my sweats, ponytail, glasses, and lack of make-up and thought, “now there’s someone who just changed her future based on my appearance. Then, the strangest thing came out of her mouth… “Sorry I look like such a wreck” (in her fancy business attire and clean hair) “I just came from work and I’m SO tired!” It then occurred to me, she never once stopped to evaluate my appearance…she was too busy feeling like a potatug. That’ll teach me to think anything but, “look at the wonderful life God had given me…I get to stay at home all day with my beautiful children and wear comfortable sweats!” If I’m a potatug, I’m gonna wear it proud! :-D

I do feel fearfully and wonderfully made, I just often feel like He made it, then I let it go…

Thank you so much for commenting on this, Haley!! It was becoming a total boys club around here. :) Not that I don’t appreciate all my male readers, but I needed a female to whisper with.

It is all about perspective, right? Isn’t it funny how so often we’re so concerned about what others are thinking about us, and it turns out their not thinking about us at all?! Humbling and revealing. Us SAHM- potatugs have to band together. Haha!