At random

I’m having trouble concentrating today. There’s random jumbling around my head. So forgive the unpolished words and crazy flow…this is me without my makeup on:

I’m excited because I was asked to be a regular blogger for the Fresh Brew blog at Ungrind.org! When I first started out writing, the editor there, Ashleigh, was the one who really encouraged me. She was the first person to allow my words to invade their space, and she gave me guidance and feedback. I am so thankful for her and know that God placed her in my life for a specific time and purpose.

I’m nervous because I’m undergoing a minor surgery today. I am having a procedure done that marks the end of my childbearing years. I know this is what’s right for our family, for me, but it’s still sad and hard for me to wrap my mind around. I have been pregnant or nursing for all but 6 months out of the last 7 years. This will be a change. I don’t know who I am outside of this part of my life.

Lastly, I’m in awe of God’s provision. In the last two days God has answered my prayers for financial assistance in ways I never foresaw. You assume that it will be an anonymous check in the mail or an unexpected opportunity to earn some money. Instead, He saved us from having to spend money that we saw as inevitable. We’ve been trying to get our family’s dental health in order before the end of the year. I had my first cavity when I was 21-years-old. I’ve always had very healthy teeth. So imagine my surprise when the dentist told me at my last cleaning that I needed a root canal. They gave me an out-of-pocket estimate of $1600. That’s after insurance, people! I was sick to my stomach. We had just worked out a plan to get our debt paid down, and I felt like this was a major step backwards. We went to another dentist for a second opinion, and he took mercy on us. He did the kids dental work and didn’t charge us anything out-of-pocket after our deductible! Then, they only charged me $300 for my tooth!

Praise God, thank you for your provision!

Today I’m thankful for the people God’s placed in my life to encourage me.

Today I’m anticipating a new chapter in a story God’s already written.

Today I’m rejoicing in the unexpected provision of our needs.

I feel like Christmas has already come!

What are you celebrating today?

Wow, that’s a LOT of time spent pregnant. I have a friend that’s pretty much in the same boat. She just had her 5th kid and she’s not even 30 yet! I almost forget to see what she looks like without being pregnant!

That’s an awesome story. God comes through in the “seemingly” little things too. I love that you celebrate it and give Him the glory!

I know! I just turned 30, I’ve had 4 kids in 6 years. :) I’m happy to have had them all young, though. And, I couldn’t help but celebrate it! It was so obviously God coming through in our need. :)

2. Danielle says:

Will be praying for your surgery! AND, can’t wait to read your blog posts over on Ungrind! Congrats!

I didn’t notice until last night that I had misspelled Fresh Brew! :) Ooops! Great start to that, huh? Haha!

praying it all goes well with your surgery today! each new beginning is a blessing. i found you on ungrind so i’m blessed you will be writing there even more! i pray he continues to grow your writing ministry because it is a gift! and oh yes, god’s provision is a beautiful mystery. we see that in our lives more than ever.

Thanks for your prayers! They were much appreciated. :) I didn’t realize you found me through Ungrind! We follow so many of the same blogs, so I wasn’t quite sure how we met up. I’m glad we did though!

4. Congratulations on the writing gig!

I hope your procedure goes well. I’ve heard that it’s a big change, not only physically but emotionally. The finality is something to grapple with, I’m sure. God is sure to guide you through it since he brought you to it (boy, that’s something straight off a Dayspring card, no?).

And a high five for that dentist. What a gem!

Thanks! I’m super excited!! Sometimes I doubt myself so much in this area, so when others come along and affirm you it’s priceless! :) I like your Dayspring card encouragement! It’s much appreciated! :)

Congrats first of all! That’s very exciting! Peace to your heart and mind as you go through your surgery–may God’s presence and love surround you.

Thank you for the testimony too. God does such amazing things and He’s never limited to our limitations (in thinking, imagination, resources, or whatever!). I’m rejoicing today in that reality that God cannot be stopped–it was never up to me so I will cling to Him with all my might.

Thanks again, Melissa!

Thank you for your prayers, Jason! I’m rejoicing with you too in the fact that God can not be stopped! What a great thing to focus on!!

6. V.V. Denman says:

No wonder your head is full of random. You’ve got a lot going on over there. Take a deep breath, Girl. And congrats on Fresh Blew!

**deep breath** Thanks for that, VV, I needed the reminder! :)

I hope the surgery went well. Congrats on the regular blogging gig! It’s such an honor to have someone say they value your words enough to make you part of what they’re doing.

It really is…and this is something I need to remember for others. I get so self-centered and focused on others affirming my talent. I want to make sure that I’m doing the same for others. I have discovered so many fabulous writers and I want to start spotlighting them on my blog. I think my goal for next year is going to be encouraging others and focusing less of myself… :)

Melissa….I’m gonna have to pick your brain in private about how you came to that decision because I’m grappling with how to know that the child bearing days are “over”. It’s a tough decision!! And, it is a huge identity change. What a blessing that God gave you the challenge and fun of writing for ungrind during a time when your focus had to be on “the end” of your childbearing-hood. :P He is sooooo good and knows our needs even before we do. Blessings to you, my friend!

We’ll have to talk! And, thank you for pointing that out! I never even noticed that juxtaposition. It is true that just as I’m feeling one door closing on an area of my life, God is opening another. :) Thank you for that, Keri!! :)

9. craig says:

Melissa,

I haven’t read you lately because I didn’t fully read the banner up above – and so thought you were still on blog vaca.

I think, by the way, when something good happens, it’s special that a person considers a Divine hand at work. God never gets enough credit for the good – just the bad.

I’m celebrating today that there are words below your banner – doh.

I can see how that would be confusing. I put the banner up there for a little bit because I wanted to make sure everyone knew where stuff was. :) I like what you’re celebrating! Haha!

10. Hope you are home and feeling well after your surgery. And feeling well about your decision. It’s a hard one, but usually the right one. (been-there-done-that) Rest for as long as life will let you…those babies will “demand” you back on your feet in no time. :)

Thank you for your kind wishes! :)

11. Duane Scott says:

SOunds like God is really looking out for you! Hope the surgery went good. :) Let us know when you post over at ungrind.com :)

God is looking out for us! Even in those times when we don’t really feel like it. :)