Happy Birthday to Me…

Image courtesy of photobucket.com

I turn 30 tomorrow.

As I’ve sensed its approach, I looked forward to turning 30 as a transition into adulthood. My 20s were a time of new beginnings: college, marriage, parenthood, ministry. I felt that my 30s would be a time of improvement and refining.

I had no idea what I would be dealing with on this day.

I didn’t plan on being pregnant.

I didn’t plan on mourning my grandma.

I did plan on having a big celebration.

My friends and family joke about my “birthday season.” Every year when the 1st of April rolls around I start anticipating my birthday. I fully take advantage of every restaurant that wants to give me a free dessert and I love to plan a party to celebrate with my loved ones. I delight in the idea that on that one day of the year so many people are thinking about me, if only for a second.

This year it all feels different. All I want to do for my birthday is have a night out with Josh. Presents, celebration, my usual “season” all seem unimportant this time.

Don’t get me wrong, next year I’ll probably be back to my normal obnoxious, birthday-loving self. But this year just seems like a reflective year.

Of course…I still got my free pizookie!

1. Glynn says:

Happy birthday, Melissa!

I’m getting to an age where I shouldn’t get excited – but I still do. So enjoy every minute — including the anticipation.

Thanks Glynn! I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of my birthday. :)

Happy birthday to you! Sounds like a lot going on- I can understand why you’d want to scale it back this year. :) I hope it’s a wonderful day and a very blessed year for you…

Thanks Jason! I’m looking forward to a nice night out with the hubs. :)

3. JoAnn Hallum says:

ooh! Free Pizookie!
    Happy Birthday!

I know, right?! What is it about a cookie the size of my head that makes the outlook a little brighter?

4. OMG. I LOVE the Pzookie!!! words can’t express how GOOD that is…

Happy Birthday, Melissa!!

Scaling back is the PERFECT to bring in the 30’s… it’s all about focusing and enjoying what you love…and who you love.

From another gal in her 30’s and LOVING IT. Welcome to the best decade :) .. LOL!

May you have the sweetest birthday … reflecting on all the beauty in your soul and across the table… :)

Thanks for your sweet comments and how encouraging you’ve been to me during this difficult time. :) I’m definitely looking forward to my 30s. Haha!

5. HisFireFly says:

May His richest blessings begin to fall across your path like never before! Happy Birthday, however you choose to celebrate.

Thank you so much for that! Your words are very uplifting. :

6. Danielle says:

Happy birthday! Hope you get that date with your hubby. Mine 30th came and went with the birth of my twins, so no time to even ponder it. I think it’s just hitting me now (I’ll be 33 in May) that I’m in my 30s!!

So far all of our kids have been born around my husband’s birthday. :) They know better than to mess with mama’s birthday season. Haha!

7. Billy Coffey says:

Sorry I’m so late Melissa, but happy birthday! I pray this year holds many, many blessings.

Thanks Billy! My son doesn’t think you’ve actually changed ages until you’ve blown out the candles on your birthday cake…which I’ll do tomorrow. So you’re not late. :)

8. thegypsymama says:

I hope you had a happy happy day. Thirty has turned out to be a real time of being sure of who I am and who I want to be. It’s been beautiful – new wrinkles and all!

~Lisa-Jo

Thanks Lisa-Jo! I’ve always looked forward to 30. Being surer of who I am and who I’m supposed to be would be the best birthday present ever! :)