Check out my new hat!

Image courtesy of photobucket.com

Since last October I’ve been going back and forth about moving my blog over from Blogger.

First of all, I didn’t like the name I’d given it because there were things I wanted to write that had nothing to do with being a mommy. I am more than a mom and I felt stifled by the idea that what I wrote needed to somehow be about that.

Secondly, a lot of the people I follow who have blogged for longer than me said WordPress is the place to be. Now, I’ve since discovered that they meant WordPress.org and not WordPress.com, but that’s beside the point.

So…after a lot of hemming and hawing and A LOT of frustration trying to figure out WordPress…I did it!

On top of that…I went ahead and bought my own domain! Yeah me, I’m a .com.

I’m very excited about this new blog! Maybe it’s just because I like new things and this is different, shiny and untarnished. But also I feel like it’s because it’s another step for me in growing this into something.

Therein lies the question that’s been haunting me as I put in the time (and money) to move over here: What’s the point?

Those of you who know me in real life know that I love hats. Let me rephrase that: I love to buy hats. Since I was little hats have held a certain allurement for me. Someone who wears a hat is confident, stylish, put-together; at least that’s what it means to me.

So, as much as I love to buy hats, I have a hard time wearing them. I don’t want people to look at me and think, “Who does she think she is – wearing a hat.” I don’t want people to realize I’m trying. I told Josh this last night and he looked at me like I was crazy; and he’s right. But, that’s how I feel.

Those same insecurities arise here. I worry that people look at my writing and think, “She takes herself too seriously.” I started second-guessing myself and feeling embarrassed about being excited about all I’ve been working on.

Here’s the conclusion I came to…I am doing this because I enjoy it. That’s it…plain and simple. It would be fun if something grew from it in the future, but really it’s all because it makes me feel like I have a purpose beyond being a wife and mother.

I love the connection, encouragement, creativity and entertainment I get out of it. So…welcome to my new blog and to the journey that I feel God is taking me on…I hope you enjoy it because I do!

[tweetmeme source= “melissa_rae”]

1. amber says:

I think this is great! I always love to read what you write, Melissa! You are so genuine and encouraging. Best wishes to you in your new “home”!

Amber, I wish we could come visit your new home so easily. Maybe someday! Thanks for the encouragment!

2. Susan says:

I love you sincerity and honest. Blessings!

Thanks, Susan! That means a lot.

3. I just love this new look – and you really should try to do something with your header that uses that UBER-CUTE photo in this post!

Thanks for your comment at my blog yesterday. It is sometimes hard for me to write about God, write about my walk with Him, because I don’t have a shockingly awful testimony – so much of what has happened to me has happened in my heart. It’s a Him thing, though. If I had all that drama, it’d be more about the drama than about Him, wouldn’t it?

Enjoy your new blog!

Haha! Thanks Kelly…except that’s not me. I found it on photobucket…I loved it! I want to put some sort of picture up there but I haven’t found one yet that I want to use…I should take a look at your stuff because I always love your pictures. :)

4. bahava says:

I love this and love that you have been so real and transparent on here! Glad you went ahead and went for it with the new blog :) And I’m with you on the hats…I want to be a hat person, but sometimes I just don’t feel like I can pull it off!

I have a whole hamper-sized basket of lonely, neglected hats that feel for your hats right now.

That’s cause you’re my sister.

6. Dana says:

I am so glad that you love to write because I love to read what you write! It’s as if we are back in college having a late night chat! The way you write makes the reader feel that they are right there listening over a cup of coffee and I’m always encouraged to apply what you have written in some way to my life. Thanks for being real and genuine! Don’t stop writing and sharing!